GKS (Global Korea Scholarship for Graduate Degrees)
The 2019 application has closed. Please visit again in February 2020 for the next year's GKS information.
1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students, with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship amongst the participating countries.
2. Period of Scholarship
◦ Master’s : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of degree program
◦ Doctoral : 1 yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of regular degree program
◦ Applicants and their parents must hold non-Korean citizenship.
◦ Applicants must be under 40 years of age.
◦ Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
◦ Applicants must maintain a grade point average higher than 2.64 / 4.00.
4. Required Documentation
◦ Application Form
◦ Personal Statement
◦ Statement of Purpose
◦ 2 Letters of Recommendation
◦ GKS Application Agreement
◦ Personal Medical Assessment
◦ Bachelor’s Diploma or Certificate of Degree
◦ Bachelor’s Transcript
◦ Master’s Diploma or Certificate of Degree (For Doctoral course)
◦ Master’s Transcript (For Doctoral course)
◦ Applicant’s Proof of Citizenship
◦ Parents’ Proof of Citizenship
◦ Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket
◦ Settlement Allowance : 200,000 KRW (once)
◦ Monthly Allowance : 900,000 KRW
◦ Research Allowance
◦ Language Training Fees : Fully covered
◦ Degree Tuition
◦ Dissertation Printing Fee
◦ Medical Insurance : 20,000 KRW
◦ Korean Proficiency Grant : 100,000 KRW per month
◦ Degree Completion Grant : 100,000 KRW
6. Application Deadline : March 15 (Friday), 2019 - All of required documents should arrive by 3/15
7. Place of Submission : Chicago Korean Education Center, 9935 Capitol Drive, Wheeling, IL 60090
KHS (The Korean Honor Scholarship)
대한민국 주미대사관에서는 매년 재미한인장학기금 (The Korean Honor Scholarship)을 운영하고 있습니다.
재미한인장학기금은 1981년 한미수고 100주년을 기념하기 위하여 대한민국 정부가 출연한 100만불, 1985년도에 추가 출연한 50만불, 그리고 2003년도에 한인이민 100주년을 기념하기 위하여 출연한 80만불 및 2008년도 21만불, 2009년도 24만불, 2010년도 15만불의 추가출연분 등 총 290만불의 기금에 대한 투자수익으로 매년 미국과 캐나다지역의 우수한 동포대학(원)생과 한국유학생에게 혜택을 주고 있습니다. 2017년까지 36회에 걸쳐 총 3,086명에게 장학금이 지급되었으며, 앞으로도 주미대사관은 한미관계 질적 발전과 양국간의 글로벌 가교 인재 양성 등을 적극 지원할 계획입니다.
The Korean Honor Scholarship Committee extends an invitation to Korean and Korean-American undergraduate and graduate students to compete for the year 2019 Korean Honor Scholarship.
The Scholarship was first established in 1981 with the gift fund of one million US dollars donated by the government of the Republic of Korea to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of diplomatic relations between Korea and the U. S. A. Now the total amount of fund is 2.90 million US dollars. The scholarship is awarded to encourage outstanding students who have Korean heritage to achieve their highest academic performance and develop leadership qualities for their future professional careers in the global society.
The Korean Honor Scholarship Committee has awarded 3,141 scholarships to outstanding Korean and Korean-American students over the past 37 years. To be eligible for consideration, applicants must be attending college or university at least both 2018 fall and 2019 spring semesters in the U. S. A. and must have an overall grade average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 basis. In addition to the academic achievement, an essay, a letter of recommendation, awards, honors, performances and extracurricular activities are reviewed for selection. Approximately 69 scholarships will be awarded in the U. S. this year.
Scholarship will be awarded once in undergraduate and graduate level respectively. (Until 2017 year scholarship could be awarded once per each student in any levels)
The following dates are important for who are interested in applying the Korean Honor Scholarship
- Application Deadline : June 21, 2019 (Friday) - All of required documents should arrive by 6/21 (5PM)
- Place of Submission : Chicago Korean Education Center, 9935 Capitol Drive, Wheeling, IL 60090
- First round evaluation at regional consular offices: June 24 ~ June 28, 2019
- Final round evaluation by Central Selection Committee: July 12
- Scholarship Award presentation: After September 23
The amount of scholarships is as follows:
- Best Honor Scholarship: $ 2,500 (2 students)
- Honor Scholarship: $1,000 (55 students or so)
- Best Essay Award - $ 1, 500 (3 students)
Students who are interested in applying the KHS need to refer to the Embassy's website, in http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/us-en/brd/m_4513/list.do, or in any search engine(*using search for ‘korean honor scholarship’), or Korean Education Center in Washington, DC, http://www.kecdc. org, to download the application form and the guideline. Applications also must be submitted to the regional consular office CLOSEST TO his or her HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION.
The KHS Committee asks the applicants who need further information or inquiry contact the Office of Education Minister Counselor at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea, Washington, D.C.(202-939-5679~5681) or one of the regional Consular Offices closest to their college or university.
재외동포 대상 국내(한국) 교육과정
1. 국립국제교육원 : 재외동포 국내교육과정 (Korean Homeland Education : K-HEd)
모집과정 : 대학수학준비과정 (I, II) / 한국이해과정 (봄,여름,가을,겨울) / 방학특별과정 (여름,겨울)
[대학수학준비과정] 외국에서 12년 이상 정규교육(또는 이와 동등한 학력)을 받아 공관장 추천을 받은 재외동포
[한국이해과정] 거주국 초등학교 이상을 졸업 (또는 이에 준하는 학력 소지)하여 공관장 추천을 받은 재외동포
[ 방학특별과정] 만12세 이상의 공관장의 추천을 받은 재외동포
2. 재외동포재단 : 청소년/대학생 모국연수 (OKFriends Homecoming Teens/ Youth Camp)
Period : during July for 8 days
Venue : Seoul and Local Regions
For whom : Middle and High School students between ages 14 to 18 / University and Preliminary University students between ages 18 to 23
City Tour, Rural Experience, Traditional & Modern Korea Experience, Historical Sites and Major Facilities Visits
Korean family homestay, Korean school experience, One-to-one exchange with domestic teens
Cultural experiences, lectures and missions, social participation and sharing activities, etc.
Application : late March ~ early April (TBD)